Saturday, September 22, 2007

Plumbing Disaster

So we replaced all the carpet in our basement suite last month. Looked great and we even re-painted the room. Just in time for my parent’s visit 2 weeks later. I looked at the job with great pride knowing I did it all myself.


All good until I decided I should replace our old water softener system with a brand new water softener system. Our water softener is an ancient old system that was leaking and had chemical damage through the core.


I disconnected the hoses, turned off the water, and got ready to take it apart and chuck it out. All fine. I took great attention to cleaning up all the lines, hoses, connections etc. After I had it all installed I filled it with softener salt, and turned on the taps.


I let my wife know that is was all going fine, and she thanked me with great affection. We went out shopping and went to Canadian Tire for some more household improvement “stuff”. When I went walking past the hard-ware aisle, and passed by some water hoses. I gasped, and ran back to my wife in the gardening section.


We got home as soon as we could. I ran downstairs and the damage was done. There was water everywhere. The spare room was COMPLETELY flooded and the new carpet was under water. The water softener was bone dry and the floor was soaked. What a huge MESS!!!


Took two weeks to dry everything, but the carpet is pretty well ruined. Lesson learned and a price of an education. 

No comments: